24th October – Working with Plant & Machinery
Baz and Nancy: Working with Machinery
Best Practice for Working with Plant & Machinery
After falls, the most common reason for fatal or serious accidents in the construction industry are incidents with mobile plant and equipment.
Advice for all mobile plant and vehicles
- Segregate vehicles from pedestrians
- Train staff to use the machines competently
- Make sure that the machines are regularly inspected, serviced and maintained.
Plant Considerations on Site
- Excavators: Consider exclusion, clearance, visibility, and the need for a signaller
- Telescopic Handlers: Consider visibility (forward and rear), loading, ground conditions and speed
- Mobile Elevating Work Platforms (MEWPs): Consider confined overhead working, ground conditions, outriggers, guardrails, arresting falls, falling objects, weather, handling materials and nearby hazards
- Dumper Trucks: Consider overturning and collision